Hey there guys!
Not gonna lie, this past week has been a bit of a rough one. Missing Matthew, missing home, missing working, missing friends. It’s hard when it really gets to you all of a sudden but even in just that week, God showed me how quick I am to look to my own needs instead of to His goodness. When my eyes are focused on me instead of on the Lord, it’s insane how fast my heart grows bitter and I start worrying about everything. How silly of me to fret when I have an all-knowing, all-mighty, all-loving God who knows me and his plans for me better than myself.
I memorized this a long time ago, but I need to meditate on it more often. “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance, in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” Psalms 139:13-16
So as I’m getting over this funk, I decided to make some pancakes for dinner because breakfast for dinner always brightens my mood! Why not?! Some good homemade pancakes make everything a little better. My good friend Meghan re-introduced me to the wonder of lemon and poppy seed as a dynamic duo and I’ve been meaning to make a pancake version with them ever since.
Meghan also introduced me to the wonder of substituting maple syrup with Agave nectar – PURE GENIUS. Add some diced strawberries on top of those bad boys and you are rockin’ and rollin’!
My roomie usually responds very positively to basically all food that I make for her but when she had a bite of these pancakes, she went buck wild crazy over them. I’m talking jumping up and down, making yummy food noises, snapchatting it to everyone, making a whole stack disappear in 30 seconds – the whole nine yards.
And I gotta admit, these are one of my better creations. So grab those aprons and give them a try! They’re perfect for any Saturday brunch, morning breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, dessert, and pretty much any occasion you can think of 🙂
Vanilla Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- One Cup of Flour
- One Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- One Giant Pinch of Salt
- Two Eggs
- Three Fourths Cup of Whole Milk
- One and One Half Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Juice of One Lemon
- Zest of One Lemon
- Two Tablespoons of Coconut Oil, melted plus additional for
- One and One Half to Two Tablespoons of Poppy Seeds
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until there are no lumps! We don’t like lumps. And then mix in the coconut oil, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Use coconut oil to grease the pan. Drop in about two tablespoons of batter per pancake and cook on medium-low heat. Flip the pancakes once little bubbles start popping up.
- Top generously with fruit like strawberries, blueberries or blackberries and agave nectar/maple syrup.