Hands down, pesto is my favorite sauce of all time. Anything that has pesto, I automatically want like 1000 times more.
Pesto Pasta. Yes.
Pesto in sandwiches. Yes.
Pesto Pizza. Double Yes.
Pesto with chicken. Pesto with salmon. Pesto with basically any protein. Yes, yes, and heck yes.
Being the [“poor”] college student I was, I decided why pay for it when I can just make the darn thing at home [and have it taste a heck of a lot better]?? A tried and true recipe, this pesto sauce has brighten up many a dinner table and been the envy of many co-workers at the lunch table. Mind you, I am horrible at following strict measurements when it comes to cooking so not a worry if you don’t follow it to a tee! It’s a fairly simple and straight forward recipe so you can pass right by that pesto sauce at the grocery store next time and make it yourself instead :))
When I told Matthew I was gonna make us pesto for dinner, he came ready to help , fully equipped with his hamburger socks that I gave him for Christmas!!!
Ugh too perfect. Hipster Hamburger socks.
The sauce is such a bright, brilliant green that seriously lights up any dish and with all the spinach, it also makes me feel like I’m being healthy by “eating more vegetables”. Cheating the food pyramid! Anyways, this made for a delightful meal and we are already planning to eat it again this week 🙂
Until next time, happy eating!
Simple Basil-Spinach Pesto Sauce
- One Cup Spinach
- Half Cup Basil Leaves
- One Fourth Cup Walnuts/Pine Nuts
- One Fourth Cup Parmesan Cheese
- One Fourth Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Two or Three Cloves of Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Rough chop your nuts if they are in larger pieces (esp if you are using walnuts).
- Add all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and run on high for one to two minutes until everything is incorporated.
- Adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Add to any pasta, sandwich, pizza, protein, fav food and ENJOY!! 🙂
- All basil or all spinach pesto with this recipe is also deeeeelicious! Traditional pesto is just basil but spinach adds a little something-something and it’s also a way cheaper substitute AND I feel like I’m eating more veggies hohoho
- Instead of raw garlic, try using roasted garlic instead!
- Kick it up a notch and add some cream to your sauce to make it a pesto-alfredo sauce